If you want to keep your photos and videos private, it is possible to hide them on your Android smartphone or tablet. Here are some simple steps to follow:
Hiding Photos on Android Smartphones
The default app for managing photos on Android is Google Photos, which has a feature called Locked Folder. To use this feature, follow the above steps:
- Open Google Photos on your phone.
- Select the Library tab at the bottom.
- Choose the Utilities menu.
- Find the Set locked folder suggestion in the menu and click Get Started.
- Choose your preferred authentication method (PIN, password or fingerprint) to access the folder.
Once you have set up the folder, you can add media files to it in two ways. First, you can add files from the media library by long-tapping on an image and selecting the media files you want to hide. Then, tap the top menu and move the files to the locked folder. Second, if you want to hide a one photo or video, click on the media file, scroll up and select “more details” and click on ‘Move to locked folder’ option.
Hiding Photos and Videos for Pixel Users
If you have a Pixel 3 or later, you can save captured images directly to the folder locked by the default Camera app. Here are the steps to follow:
- Open your device’s default Camera app.
- Tap the gallery icon at the top.
- Select Locked Folder from the ‘Save in’ menu.
All files will be directly saved in the locked folder. If you want to access your hidden media files you can click on Utilities menu.
It is worth noting that the locked folder is an offline feature. Google will not be able to sync hidden files with your library, and you won’t be able to access these files from the web or another phone. Since hidden files are only stored on your device, you won’t have any editing or sharing functionality in the Google Photos app. Additionally, if you uninstall the app or reset your device, you will lose all data in the locked folder.
Hiding Media Files on Samsung Galaxy
Samsung Galaxy devices use the One UI Android skin, which includes a feature called Secure Folder, powered by Samsung Knox. To use this feature, follow the above steps:
- Swipe down from the top and then open the notification center.
- Expand the menu and go to App Settings.
- Enable Secure Folder and enter a password of your choice.
To hide photos and videos in the secure folder, follow these steps:
- Find the Gallery app on your phone’s home screen launcher or app drawer.
- Select multiple images and click on More at the bottom.
- Move everything to the protected folder, and your photos will vanish from the Gallery.
When you want to access any of your hidden media files, you can open the secure folder from the apps menu, authenticate with a PIN (the one entered during setup), and select the Gallery app.
Hiding photos and videos on Android devices is a simple process that can be done using various built-in features of the operating system. Whether you’re using Google Photos, the default Camera app on a Pixel device, or the Secure Folder on Samsung Galaxy devices, there are plenty of options available to keep your private media files hidden from view. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can ensure that your personal information stays safe and secure on your Android device.