xrOS will provide a variety of game-changing capabilities for the Reality Pro headset, including immersive media consumption, macOS integration, and more.
Apple is likely to reveal its eagerly awaited headset featuring virtual reality and augmented reality features at WWDC in June. Apple will nevertheless also reveal the underlying software architecture for the so-called “Reality Pro” headset in addition to the physical hardware. The first significant new software platform from Apple, since it released watchOS for the Apple Watch, will reportedly be named xrOS.
Key features of xrOS
These are the main features of xrOS include the following:
- Aspects related to health and wellness
- Books and storytelling with an immersive experience
- Virtual reality adaptations of existing applications such as Safari, Photos, Mail, Messages, the App Store, and more Immersive video and audio, including Dolby Atmos and more
- A feature that gives users of Reality Pro the impression that they are watching a film on a screen that is only dedicated to that purpose in a different location, such as a “desert or outer space.”: Bloomberg
- Support for time-saving applications such as Keynote, Pages, and Numbers